You can not select more than 25 topics
Topics must start with a letter or number, can include dashes ('-') and can be up to 35 characters long.
- Fediverse: several servers following one another, several users
following each other. Designates federated communities in general.
- Vidiverse: same as Fediverse, but federating videos specifically.
- Instance: a server which runs PeerTube in the fediverse.
- Origin instance: the instance on which the video was uploaded and which
is seeding (through the WebSeed protocol) the video.
- Cache instance: an instance that decided to make available a WebSeed
of its own for a video originating from another instance. It sends a
activity to notify the origin instance, which will then update its list of
WebSeeds for the video.
- Following: the action of a PeerTube instance which will follow another
instance (subscribe to its videos).
- An instance has a websocket tracker which is responsible for all videos
uploaded by its users.
- An instance has an administrator that can follow other instances.
- An instance can be configured to follow back automatically.
- An instance can blacklist other instances (only used in “follow back”
- An instance cannot choose which other instances follow it, but it can
decide to reject all followers.
- After having uploaded a video, the instance seeds it (WebSeed protocol).
- If a user wants to watch a video, they ask its instance the magnet URI and
the frontend adds the torrent (with WebTorrent), creates the HTML5 video
player and streams the file into it.
- A user watching a video seeds it too (BitTorrent). Thus another user who is
watching the same video can get the data from the origin server and other
users watching it.